Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Senior Reflection - 7 Unconventional Pieces of Advice for Your Time at Colgate

This was originally published in the 2011 graduation edition of the Colgate Maroon-News. By Harry Raymond.

By way of a senior reflection, here are seven somewhat unconventional pieces of advice that may make your Colgate experience you.

1.      1. Professors and administrators are often wrong.
Critical thinking is the most valuable skill you will learn at Colgate and it should be a mission of the college. Too often we forget that we should practice it. Professors are a professional source of knowledge and wisdom. That’s their job. They deserve our respect but respect is not the same as unqualified reference. As much as anyone, professors carry their personal bias and values into their work but the good professors welcome being challenged.    

Engage in meaningful conversations even with a dean or a campus cop. Do you have a problem with a Campus Safety policy? Invite an officer to sit down and talk about it over lunch. It’s important to ask why a policy is in place and if it’s reaching it’s intended goal. You’d be surprised how receptive the administration is to change but you have to take the first step to change it.

2.    2Get Involved with Greek Life.
Being a part of the array of entrepreneurial activities that occurs inside a Greek house – from planning a concert to coordinating kitchen jobs - has been my single most valuable experience at Colgate. 75 students with a diverse group of skills, campus connections and access to resources can make creative ideas come to life.

Whether you are a member of Greek Life or not, the Greek community is a major part of the Colgate community. Be a part of it. Greek life has to be initially exclusive but exclusivity does not mean that Greek houses do not welcome collaboration and sharing their experiences and resources. Party for Pink, Brother’s Poker tournament, and Community Bikes are just a few recent events that happen because non-Greek organizations approach a fraternity with ideas for action that welcome the entire community.

3.      3. Don’t do anything for your resume. Follow your passions.
When I tell people that I’m studying Political Science, I often get the response “So you want to work for the government?” This reflects one fundamental problem with higher education. Learning is no longer about intellectual freedom but is, rather, a means to an end – a career. Is that really what Liberal arts education is about?

In Democracy in America, Alexis de Tocqueville warned of this phenomenon which he called “restless anxiety in prosperity.” This is a tendency of economic cultures in which people become so focused on the “rat race” and economic mobility that they lose their sense of exploration and reflection. College should be more than career prep. 

When else will you have the chance to take a class on the Science of Sports or Mayan Astronomy or Photography? Choose your major based on what interests you. I opted to do a thesis-like independent project on baseball. I pursued one of my sincere interests and it was an exciting academic experience.  
Liberal arts education is not about what you learn but learning how to learn. Yes, we all have to feed ourselves and pay off student loans but just focusing on career prep will not make your education investment less valuable. Exploring new things is a luxury that we don’t want to throw away. Follow your passions and your resume will build itself.

4.     4. Break up with your girlfriend or boyfriend from home.
Holding on to a high school sweetheart can isolate you. Too many of my friends regret trying to make a long distance relationship work in their first or second year.

They spent nights Skyping instead of going to a campus concert or meeting new people. They spent weekends driving to their girlfriend’s college instead of going on a rock climbing trip or organizing a campus event. Some can balance the obligations of a long-distance relationships, but, for too many, it diminishes their college experience.

 There are great people to love on this campus. Don’t isolate yourself and make sure you get the most out of your short time here at Colgate. It won’t last long.

5.    5.  Don’t be afraid to make a fool out of yourself.
Get outside your comfort zone as much as possible. I joined the Rugby team my freshmen year as a pudgy 5’7” kid who didn’t know the rules of the sport and likely was to get squashed by the conventional rugby players. After a month, bloody and bruised, I quit because it was too much of a struggle. I wish I hadn’t quit because even the initial first step spurred an interest in a foreign sport. The more uncomfortable situations you put yourself in, the more confident you’ll become.

6.     6. Meet new people as much as you can.
Some professors have argued that this place is too much of “Camp Colgate” and more focus on academics is needed. My academic experience here has been rewarding, sharpening my communication skills and learning to think critically. However, the academic experience has not defined my Colgate experience. A Colgate degree is a dynamic one which separates us from some of our peer institutions.

Go downtown and learn how to drink a beer but, more importantly, create a network of beer drinkers. When you graduate, what you’ll take with you is the friends you’ve met. I’m thinking of starting my own business after school. The Colgate network provides me with an endless supply of smart people with different skills. I wouldn’t be able to tap that resource if I hadn’t made an effort to go out and meet people.

7.      7. Don’t go abroad
At the Global Leaders Lecture series, President Herbst proudly stated that more than 60 percent of Colgate students study abroad. Is this necessarily a good thing?

I studied in London last year and loved it. I loved the city, I loved travelling, I loved meeting locals in pubs and I loved the Colgate students on my trip. At the same time, going abroad took me away from Colgate at the peak of my development. I was just taking on leadership positions in organizations, and my academic experience was just beginning to focus.

Travel is valuable because it teaches us about other cultures and makes us more globalized citizens but being away made me appreciate Hamilton even more. This is a highly energetic, passionate, and hard-working community that we often take for granted. We shouldn’t have to leave to appreciate it. We all have to leave soon enough.

Travel over the summer. Take an alternative Spring Break trip. I plan on spending the rest of my life travelling the world whenever I can but I will never be able to spend another semester in a vibrant environment where my only obligation is to learn. You only have eight semesters at Colgate. Make them count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment